Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Agnes Cupcakes: Fruit Overload


Last week I went to Agnes Cupcakes two times too many, meaning I went a total of three times. To explain why I went so many times, I will just say that I am so dedicated to making sure I review all thirty flavors, that I had a mini panic last weekend that I wouldn't be able to do just one a week. And so I went three times. 

The first was on Sunday, and I made sure to go early in the day to grab a flavor that is usually sold out by the time I make it there in the afternoon. When I arrived, they still had the flavor I was looking for. There it was with the cinnamon frosting, cute little star on top and red-brown cupcake sitting in the wrapper. I may have only tried a mini carrot cupcake, but this apple flavor may have topped the carrot in my book. Literally there were chunks of apple in the cupcake. You could see the specks of cinnamon in the frosting and in the cake. It was like having apple cake or apple muffins only with delicious cinnamon cream cheese frosting with it. Definitely a smart flavor choice, I loved it so much I ate it immediately!


I was good for two days, not going back and getting a cupcake I would immediately down without taking pictures. But Tuesday night I realized I needed to do more than just one cupcake a day. So I went back Wednesday, and saw just what I wanted: sea salt chocolate! To be honest, it made me want to bake some of my favorite cupcakes - chocolate with mocha frosting and caramel drizzle. I always put sea salt on top and when I took the first bite of the sea salt chocolate, it was heavenly. Salt adds that "sweet and salty" aspect to cupcakes. I mentioned in a previous post that the chocolate/chocolate frosting combination was a little too sweet, but the salt changed everything! Definitely a delicious flavor.


And here is where the guilt sinks in. Well, not completely, but I'm sure you're like, "She ate three cupcakes last week!?!" Well, I'd say I ate two and a half, and let me explain. Wednesday night my core class at DIS had an information session about our upcoming long study tour to Berlin and Poznan, Poland. Afterwards, Josie (my neighbor in our dorm) and our friend Amy were planning on stopping for cupcakes before going home. I asked them if I could come and have them review for me, and they happily agreed. Amy ordered the black & white and Josie immediately went for the kids flavor. I decided to snag a mini strawberry before they were all out, and because I was really curious about the fruit flavored cupcakes - Agnes has about five or six of them!



Amy loved the black & white, her only complaint was a little too much frosting and a need for water at the end! Agnes sells bottled water... they must know. Josie's cupcake was red velvet with cream cheese frosting, rolled in sprinkles. Definitely for the kids. It was... interesting. I took a quick bite at the end and was surprised it didn't taste better. It was good, but not great. I'm really interested in trying the original red velvet flavor now. My mini strawberry cupcake was very good besides the frosting (usually my favorite part!). It was too strawberry-tasting! I know that sounds odd, but truly it would have been so much better with vanilla on top. The cake had chunks of strawberry in it and had so much flavor I could have eaten it for days. The frosting... not so much. But that's ok, it was still very satisfying after dinner.


So in all, I have found some more really great cupcakes, and some that aren't so fabulous. I guess I knew this would happen, but it's still disappointing to eat a not so great cupcake. It's also a good thing I joined the gym last week. Josie and I do intense aerobics together and then I go for some pilates classes too. Bright and early in the morning, no less! I have some great cupcakes planned for next week, and then I believe I'll be able to make a review with a small twist in early October... we shall see!

Until then,
Devon.


No comments:

Post a Comment