Sunday, September 25, 2011

Top Five Reasons to Study Abroad in Copenhagen

You're saying, "It's only September!" And I'm saying, "I already know it's the best place to go, and if I wait any longer to write this, it will be a top fifty!"

Onto the list so you know what I mean:

1. Amazing events take place without you being aware or having planned ahead knowing they were scheduled. Case in point: Denmark announced their elections in August, and I witness them in September. Also, the cycling world championships were held this past week. I went today to the finals, and was confused all week on my bike due to various road closures for the time trials.

2. Everyone is genuinely nice. My friend Jane and I went to an open house at a hospital yesterday outside Copenhagen, and were not only welcomed in English, but talked with medical students and other health professionals who all wanted to know about why we are here in Denmark. We learned how to place sutures, practiced arthroscopic surgery, tested rehabilitation equipment and even got to examine a placenta (with gloves on). Everyone was welcoming, extremely nice, and switched to English as soon as they saw the deer-in-the-headlights looks on our faces.

3. The weather. You honestly never know what the day is going to be like, even if it's pouring rain when you wake up. I've learned to love this about Copenhagen because it keeps things spontaneous. Today ended up being an absolutely gorgeous day with blue skies and just a breeze (instead of full on tornado-style wind like it has been lately). Everyone goes outside to walk, sit or have a meal on the sidewalk. Especially on the bridge near us people just congregate and enjoy the nice day!

4. Food. I know I've posted this before, but since then I have really experienced food here in Copenhagen. Besides there being amazing fish, there's also a fantastic variety of bread. On Friday I honestly did not want to go to class, and the only thing that made me go was that I told myself I could go to Lagkagehuset, the best and most expensive bakery in the city. Honestly, I didn't care that I paid three dollars for a pastry, I just went with it. It was a flat cinnamon bun that was still soft with plain and chocolate icing pooled on top. Absolute heaven. It got me through class and then some. And besides the baked goods, Denmark actually has very good sushi (because the fish quality here is amazing). I had some today and want to go get more it was so good! I'm sure I will find more amazing things to eat while I am here, and don't want to think about when I have to go back and can't eat them any more!

5. Transportation here is amazing. It's like it was sent from the gods. Today when my friend Rose and I went to the elite mens finals of the World Cycling Championships, we had to take the train out of the city and up the coast. Afterwards on our way back, we figured we'd have to wait forever for a train. I was telling her while we walked to the station that in DC when there is an event on the Mall the metro simply can't handle the masses of people and you usually have better luck walking home. But to our surprise the train came and we got on, and even found a seat! Danes don't cram into train cars like Americans do, apparently they dislike being human sardines. I like this. Also, the buses are reliable, safe, mostly clean and some of the best I have ever been on.

I know there are many more things I could write, but I am going to save them for another day. But to keep you all reading, I will tell you that the next cupcake review has been written - look for it on Tuesday!

3 comments:

  1. It is an overseas educational consultants based at Hyderabad India. We do consultancy for students who are looking for study abroadFind the best study abroad consultancy, academy, centres, services in Hyderabad and get study abroad course

    Study Abroad Consultants in Hyderabad

    Abroad Education Consultancy in Hyderabad

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is totally random but I am considering studying abroad in Copenhagen and came across your blog. Would love to ask you some questions about your experience! thanks in advance. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Improve your performance and personality at International level. If you want to study in abroad you have to prepared for many things. BSB International the leading study abroad consultants in Kolkata offers helps you to study in UK, USA, Australia, Switzerland, Singapore, Canada and more other countries.

    ReplyDelete