Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Agnes Cupcakes


As a semi-Washingtonian, I have a strong connection to cupcakes. Before my freshman year at American, I hadn't given the idea of gourmet cupcakes much thought. Georgetown Cupcake changed everything for me with their delicious creations (my favorite being chocolate squared). But as all DC residents know, there is much competition between cupcake shops. Hello Cupcake, Red Velvet, Baked and Wired, I could go on for days, but I'll just end by saying I am now a cupcake fanatic who will go out of my way to find a new cupcakery.


And that is what I did today. I had heard about Agnes Cupcakes through a friend and knew they were the Georgetown Cupcake of Copenhagen. When the new food markets opened near me, I saw that Agnes had opened a second location right inside. Today is Wednesday, so I didn't have class, and after walking around the shopping area for a bit, I stopped in the market on the way home.



It was amazing. So many flavors, so much frosting (I am a huge fan of overly frosted cupcakes), so many people! 

I decided I had to try their dark chocolate cupcake, since chocolate with chocolate frosting is my ultimate favorite flavor. I waited until home to try it, but was so tempted to open the box before even leaving the building!


It was definitely a huge cupcake, with more frosting than I've ever seen, but it didn't feel like too much. The cake was moist and fluffy, a perfect combination. The frosting was plenty sweet and light, not as dense as some. I like this because when the frosting is too dense, it makes me feel sick to my stomach. Too much sugar! It also had chocolate shavings around the side which added the dark chocolate flavor, and also cut down on the sugar taste all cupcakes have. It was heavenly.


Next time I want to try their carrot cupcake, and then move on to the black and white (chocolate with vanilla frosting). It is surprisingly inexpensive for Copenhagen, 30 kroner for one ($6) - but by no means cheap. Check out their website, agnescupcakes.com for all their flavors and more information. 


Looks like I'm hooked!
dwh.

No comments:

Post a Comment