Thursday, November 3, 2011

Chocolate, Churches, and... McDonalds?!

Hello everyone!

I have made it to Austria and have been enjoying Vienna for the past two days! My first day was more like just an evening after my train ride from Budapest, but even that was enough to make me see how wonderful this city is. I'm really glad I chose somewhat of a random city to visit before seeing my friends in their study abroad cities. Vienna is the perfect balance: it has just enough historical sites for tourists, but still keeps the character of those who live there. But it is hard to believe the city used to be the fifth largest in the world! Now that royal families are out and democratic governments are in, Austria no longer has the power it used to, and Vienna represents what used to be.

In Vienna I've seen St. Stephens Cathedral, the Spanish Riding School, the Sisi Museum, the Natural History Museum, the Imperial Apartments, the Weiner Riesenrad, and am headed shortly to the Josephinum Medical Museum later this afternoon! I might have time for something else tomorrow, but it depends on how early I wake up!

St. Stephens Cathedral is like many other cathedrals in Europe, it has beautiful stain glass windows and long pews of dark wood. I've been a few times just to walk around, and it is always filled with people. But it is in the middle of the city and a must-see if you're here in Vienna.

St. Stephens Cathedral

I went to the Spanish Riding School for my friend, Lily. She is quite the equestrian, and somehow I knew I needed to witness horses jumping on their hind legs for her. I also snuck in some pictures of the morning exercises... The school has been in Vienna since the 1500's, and has entertained royalty and the current heads of state that visit Austria.

One of many sneaky pictures I took... 

After that I went to the Sisi Musuem and Imperial Apartments (which are right next to the riding school). The museum holds the dinner ware of the royal family dating from the 17th century. Every set of plates was absolutely gorgeous! It was also interesting to read about how meals at the palace were served. In the Imperial Apartments, the story of Empress Elisabeth was told. You can read about her life here. It was so sad to read about how depressed she became once married, and about the deaths of her children. Austria embraced the empress, and there are many statues of her in the city. She had fabulous fashion sense and loved to travel. Unfortunately, she was assassinated on one of her journeys...

Today I visited the Natural History Museum because I want to save my tolerance for art museums for later in my trip. I don't want to get museumed-out! Oh and it's possible, believe me! It was interesting, but nothing you wouldn't be able to find somewhere else. If you go to Vienna, I'd suggest the Leopold (modern art) or the zoo instead.

Outside the Natural History Museum - so cute!

Ok now onto the food. I am in love with Mozartkugeln. It's this small chocolate filled half with chocolate mousse and half with marzipan, covered in a dark chocolate shell. I've had one each day, and bought a bag to bring home to Maine. They are amazing! What's not so amazing? The amount of McDonalds this city has. I swear there's one on every street! I will admit the city lacks cheap food establishments, meaning McDonalds is one of the only places to go, but really?! Literally everyone goes to McDonalds! Not ok.

Well I am off to one last museum before I leave, honestly I could stay here for at least two more days! But I have friends to see and places to go, and a plane to catch! It's so nice to see how different each city in Europe is. I promise to add pictures of all the places in Budapest and in Vienna tonight, and tomorrow once I'm off the plane I will blog about my next destination!

The city square at night!

Until then,




Devon

2 comments:

  1. I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO COMMENT ON HERE!!! I'm so happy you went to the Spanish riding school and the Imperial apartments. PLEASE TELL ME YOU NOTICED THE LOBSTER DINNER PLATES?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course I noticed the lobster plate set!!!! I was going to take a picture but I didn't think it was allowed. And I loved the Imperial Apartments. That was definitely my favorite day of visits!

    ReplyDelete