Saturday, November 12, 2011

Everything Belgium


I have had a crazy past few days! Sorry I haven't posted in a while, I've been doing lots of traveling and visiting friends from school, and I just haven't had the time to sit down and write a blog post.

But here I am at my final stop on the trip - ROME! I made it through Brussels and have moved onto the warmest city I'll visit this semester. I honestly haven't seen this much sun in a very long time. Before I talk about my adventures here (as brief as they will be) I have to catch you up on Belgium!

Wednesday I explored the city while my friend Christina, who I was staying with, studied for her exam the next day. I learned about the city and how it was formed, as well as about what role Brussels plays as a city in Europe. It is definitely a great place for tourists as it's easy to walk from one attraction to another. There is a chocolate museum as well as a Belgian brewers museum! But my favorite part of Belgium was the waffles. Oh wow are they good. Better than Nutella on toast in Denmark, better than crepes with Nutella in Paris, better than straight Nutella out of the jar - this is practically heaven on a plastic tray. But be warned, you will need a bottle of water or some milk to wash it down, and don't wear anything white while enjoying it.

So delicious!

The Manneken Pis - read more here!

So Wednesday I explored Brussels, and Thursday I took the train to Bruges, a quaint medieval town about an hour from Brussels. They have town walls, a moat (canal) and old churches! It was really relaxing and nice to see a small town instead of another big city. There is a chocolate store there called The Chocolate Line that is to die for, they have so many different flavors of chocolates including coffee, wasabi, hot chill pepper, mocha, raspberry, lemon-lime... I could go on forever. They melted in your mouth and were fabulous. I saw the cute side streets and cobblestone, as well as the park that runs around the city by the canal with all the fall leaves. It really was a great day. One of my friends says she wants to honeymoon there!

Friday I packed up my stuff and headed to the airport for another long day of travel to get to Rome. Because I'm not heading back to Brussels with my friends, but instead going home to Copenhagen, I had to by a one way ticket, which would have cost about $300. So I had to buy the cheap ticket which was for a flight about five hours later than my friends. I actually got a lot of work done in the airport, but wasn't happy to miss out on sightseeing!

Bruges has a canal surrounding it to keep out invaders... probably the Vikings!

That's all for now, I have lots more to post about Rome that will have to wait. I have a flight to catch tomorrow and it's already two in the morning. Pictures (per usual) will be added in a few days, and look for another travel post soon!

Thanks for reading!
Devon


No comments:

Post a Comment