Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Beginning of the End

For me it definitely doesn't feel like the end! I still have five finals to take and a week before I'm back in the US. But it definitely is the beginning of the end. My classes wrapped up this past week with pastries and cookies, my professors wished us good luck with whatever we may do next, and my classmates and I scrambled to make study groups for our finals.

I also know it's the beginning of the end because I went to the DIS blogger appreciation dinner. I've said this before and I'll say it again: DIS hosts the best dinners I've ever been to. Food in Copenhagen is amazing and this was no exception. It was really great to be able to talk to students who had been doing the same thing as me all semester! We mostly all agreed we'd be back at the computer blogging in one form or another after we return to the States. We talked about our writing styles, what we liked the most, if we were excited to return home - everything! I also spoke with representatives of DIS from the North American offices in Minnesota who were visiting for the week. It was great to connect with people who helped me out back in the summer, and talk about future projects back in the States. In all it was such a fun night!

Our dinner was paired with beers for each course. This was for the main course - it had orange to pair with our duck entree. 

Cherry beer went with dessert, it was very good but also really sweet!

I'm also noticing my planner is surprisingly full... which tells me it's time to go home! Between fitting in tourist attractions (still on the list: Tivoli, Christiania Christmas Market, canal tour...) and creating study guides and summaries of my courses in preparation of finals, I hardly have time to grocery shop! Or breathe - I guess that's where I'm supposed to say breathe. I am so looking forward to seeing my family again and going home, but I kind of want to take a minute and do NOTHING. According to my calendar this time should arrive a week from Sunday when all my friends have already left. Unfortunately in Denmark nothing is open on Sundays, so I have reserved that day for serious packing. In August it took me about three hours to fully pack everything and make sure I hadn't forgotten something, and I don't expect this to take much longer. Maybe I'll go for a walk...

In other news I only have 65 kroner on my grocery store card as of this morning. This is the equivalent of $12. It looks like I will be living off peanut butter and jelly for the next week, as well as buying sandwiches for lunch... Yep, it feels like the beginning of the end.

Example #1: I bought a turkey sandwich from Sandwich Pigeon 
today because I ran out of peanut butter. It was so good.

I can't say I'm ecstatic to leave, I'm not. I have a lot of friends here I probably won't see again for a long time, and I will miss my wonderful professors and everyone at DIS who has been so helpful. But I am so excited to go home and see my mom and have my own room and bathroom, a kitchen I don't have to share with thirty people and four weeks of no classes! All I have left are exams, and then I'm home bound. So yes, it definitely the beginning (if not the middle) of the end, and that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment