Sunday, December 4, 2011

A Trip to Louisiana

If only I was in New Orleans right now! It would be a bit warmer I think, but sadly is very far away. No today I went to Louisiana Modern Art Museum in Humlebæk, which is north of Copenhagen on the coast! They had some fabulous art pieces and amazing views of Sweden. 



My love for art, especially beginning in the 18th center and forward, began in high school during my final trimester senior year. I was required to take five classes, and needed one more to meet the requirement (read between the lines: serious senioritis). The academic dean gave me two options: biochemistry and art history. Not wanting to work hard, even as a lover of science, I chose art history. I honestly believe this was the best decision of my high school career. I learned so much from that class and gained a huge appreciation for visual art (I have always been a fan of theater). Some of the pieces below are by artists I studied that trimester. So thank you to Mrs. Wheelden, my teacher, who taught me to love the arts! 

Pieces by Giacometti - known for his lengthy sculptures

The museum was designed, I'm assuming, in the sixties as it has a very unique shape. Most of it is underground to allow space outside for sculptures. I especially liked the special exhibit, but unfortunately that was the only one you couldn't take pictures in. It was about Cobra, an artist group established in Denmark in the 1940's that focuses on the innocence of children and how they struggle to achieve power and independence in our society. It was interesting. Most of the art looked like children's pieces, but had something else to them that made them look angry. I had never thought about the concept before nor had I seen anything like it, so it was worthwhile. 

Kandinsky - my high school art teacher's favorite expressionist painter.

Outside the museum you can see Sweden across the water! I wish I had been able to go earlier in the semester as the trees would have been gorgeous. Now they are without leaves and kind of sad, but it was still a great view! I liked that the museum wasn't all pictures and paintings, but many sculptures too. That's one thing I like about modern art museums compared to traditional art galleries, there's a 3D aspect to the visit. My favorite was a glass sculpture that looked similar to a Christmas Tree. It was so sparkly in the sun (yes, we had sun today!) and made me happy for the holidays. 

Very Danish - an entire sculpture of bicycles!

Besides checking something off my list I haven't done yet, this visit also means the start to the end. I planned a bunch of trips and activities for myself during the last two weeks I'm here to keep my busy and make sure I go out and do things and not just sit in my room studying. So far it's working. Later today I am going to visit my friend Scarlett who is playing piano at the mall here in Copenhagen. And of course I'll take pictures!


Make sure to keep checking for new posts, I will of course talk about everything I do here!

- Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment