Wednesday, October 19, 2011

In the Land of Blue and Yellow


If you don't already know, I am in a sorority at American. As a sister of Phi Sigma Sigma, I find special meaning in things like sphinxes, pyramids and the colors king blue and gold. Upon arriving in Stockholm this weekend, I realized my dream had come true. I had found people who also love blue and yellow. So naturally I had to stock up.

But before my mom, sister and I spent our day roaming from one tourist shop to another, we decided to visit some museums. On Saturday we went to the Vasa Museum, which is entirely focused on the ship the Vasa, built for the Swedish navy in the 1600's, only to sink in the harbor on her maiden voyage. Three hundred years later the ship was found on the ocean floor and removed almost fully intact! The museum tells the story of the building, sinking and retrieving of the Vasa as well as side exhibits about specific parts of the story.


Basically the Swedish king wanted the ship built quickly, so it was built incorrectly. It was far too wide for how deep it was, and wasn't weighted down enough. There were also two levels of canons, which lowered the location of the windows. When the ship tipped, water flowed in and before long the Vasa was on the bottom of the harbor, along with many of her men. My favorite exhibit at the museum was where the skeletons they retrieved from the ship in the 1950's were displayed. It explained what could be assumed about the person's life and how they died. I found it really interesting.

Also on Saturday we went to Skansen, an open air museum not unlike Den Gamble By, the museum I visited on my short study tour in Arhus. They had glassblowing, and I purchased a handmade glass orb. The museum had great views of the city as it was on top of a hill (something I have forgotten about here in Denmark)!


Sunday we spent the day as ultimate tourists, walking through the old town going into touristy shops and buying nordic souvenirs. We also visited the royal palace, which was fabulous because you get to see about half of it on the tour! I have to say, the Swedish royal family has very good taste in fashion.


Also on Sunday we went to the Ice Bar! It was so much fun to don ponchos with fur and sit on blocks of ice. Definitely something I haven't done before. We could have stayed for 45 minutes, but we got too cold and left after 30! If you ever have the chance to go to an Ice Bar - go! It was a great experience, the price wasn't bad and the drinks were great!

I was very cold - Robin (on the right) not so much.

My mom and sister now have a greater appreciation for 7/11 after this trip as well. We bought water and food there every single night - they are so convenient! I really am going to miss them when I'm back in the US, they just aren't the same there.

Sweden is definitely the land of blue and yellow, I absolutely loved it. And of course I purchased some blue and yellow decorations! You can never have too many... in fact, we went back to Sweden today to visit Malmo, only a train ride away from Copenhagen. More on that soon!


LITP,
Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment