Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Today is a Fabulous Day.

According to my fabulous sources, today in the United States (and possibly other great countries) is National Chocolate Cupcake Day. I could not make this up, really. So in celebration of this most magnificent day, I, of course, went to Agnes Cupcakes. But this time, my sister and mother came in tow!


To the flavors:

I knew what I wanted before we arrived. Mint chocolate is only offered on Tuesdays, and I have yet to go on a Tuesday, so this was my calling. I am happy to say that I loved it. Honestly it tasted like mint chip ice cream on a cupcake. Instead of just mint frosting, it had chunks of chocolate mixed in that made it look fabulous and taste just that much better. As I said with the dark chocolate cupcake, the added chocolate pieces really help balance the amount of sugar and intensify the chocolate flavor (which is always a good thing). The chocolate cake was moist and fluffy, with great chocolate flavor that didn't overpower the mint at all. Definitely one of my new favorites!


Dark chocolate was also in the mix today! My mom went for the Agnes staple as she loves chocolate as much as I do. She agreed that the flakes really add something, even though my sister didn't quite understand. She ate it so quickly, I barely had time to take pictures to document it!

Ginger Zing. My first thought when seeing this on the menu was, how in the world am I going to find someone who will eat that flavor for me?! But then I remembered my sister. Like my grandfather, who ate candied ginger throughout his chemotherapy treatments to settle his stomach (and create an excuse to eat candy and ginger at once), my sister is in love with this strange food. So naturally when she came I asked her to sample it for me! I also promised we could come back another day so she could try something else, and then she agreed.

Robin didn't know I was going to take a picture and ate the star on top!

Robin said she liked the ginger, but was sad because it had cream cheese frosting instead of ginger frosting. I tried it, and thought there was a good balance between the cake and the frosting. It was a very distinct ginger flavor. She agreed it had good flavor. I now have high hopes for pistachio and raspberry.

Basically today I created two more Agnes lovers who will spend absurd amounts of money on cupcakes until they leave this Sunday. But we had a great time eating dessert for lunch. More cupcakes later in the week, plus my trip to Stockholm!



Happy National Cupcake Day!
Devon

No comments:

Post a Comment